Easy Instant Pot Chicken Mole from scratch! Quick recipe that tastes authentic but is made fast in the Instant Pot. Use this delicious shredded chicken for Mexican enchiladas, tacos, rice, and more.
YIELD: 4–6 servings PREP TIME: 15 minutes COOK TIME: 35 minutes TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (NOT two cans, just 2 peppers)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can of chipotle peppers
- 1/4 cup toasted pepitas or toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
Prepared brown rice or tortillas (whole wheat or corn)
Your favorite toppings: freshly chopped cilantro, avocado, sliced radishes, chopped almonds or pepitas, cheese, etc!
- Set a 6-quart or larger Instant Pot or similar electric pressure cooker to SAUTE. Add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and sauté until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Turn off the Instant Pot and scrape the onion and garlic into a blender. Return the insert to the pot and set back to SAUTE. Add a few splashes of water, scrape up any browned bits, and discard them. You want the bottom of the Instant Pot to be fairly clean so that it does not burn. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- To the blender with the onions, add the tomatoes, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, pepitas, raisins, cocoa powder, salt, cumin, and cinnamon. Blend until smooth.
- Visit Instant Pot Chicken Mole@www.wellplated.com For Recipe Instructions.